Sunday, August 25, 2013

God is in This Place

58 degrees and sunny; a nice day for a trip to downtown St. Louis.  We spot the famous Arch to the West in the distance as we exit the interstate. Driving through city streets that are a mix of run down and uncared for or shiny, well-maintained buildings. Apartments, offices, churches, a hospital; structures in every shape, size and condition.

Spotted a few blocks away, the great green tiled dome of The Cathedral Basilica of St. Louis, Missouri. It was Pope John Paul II the Great who designated this palace of worship a basilica when he visited in 1999. We round the corner to park on the street in front. The massiveness alone causes me to catch my breath. Instantly I think, how could people build this? I had already done some research and discovered that construction began in 1907. It was consecrated in 1926, though not 100% complete for a total of 85 years. But I was not prepared for its full city block square of stone and concrete Byzantine design.

Walking up the steps that seemed at least a quarter mile from the street, I pulled hard one of the heaviest solid wood double doors, one in a set of three, that I’ve ever seen. I entered a place I was even more unprepared to see. Color, mosaic, arches, arcades. And this was only the twenty foot deep narthex. Quietly I made my way to the nave, whose center doors were open. 

And then my eyes beheld the most glorious white marble figure of Christ crucified, hanging within a majestic golden domed sanctuary, at the end of row upon row of dark wood pews flanked by chapels and arcades. Walking quietly down the center aisle, I stopped beneath the central dome whose depicted heavenly vision was just that. Its mosaic panels exquisitely honored the Holy Trinity. I turned slowly in all directions.  Truly there are no words to describe 83,000 square feet paved with 41.5 million pieces of tesserae in 8,000 shades of color. I closed my eyes to allow the memory of the sight establish itself in my heart. I opened them again and knew my memory could not adequately hold what lay before me.

Later at mass, I sat among all the grandeur intended to give glory to God. Indeed, it does. The talents of men have been returned to God in this, His temple, an appropriate action of man who has been given such gifts by the Creator and Giver of all life and love and beauty. I wondered at the people who say a building cannot give glory to God. It is here that the glory He gives to His people is returned.

And I wondered at others who say God does not live in a place built by man. I looked around me. I saw God in every face worshiping with me. I saw God in the air as the incense wafted to the heavens. I saw God in the 8,000 shades of color that is part of His creation. And I saw Him in every mosaic scene that told the story of salvation through the people He has called and whom He has worked through from the beginning. I saw Him in the bread and the wine lifted up by one chosen for that honor. And I saw that same bread and wine become His resurrected body and blood.

God is not here? I determined that if one cannot sense the presence of God in this place, then they do not know Him nor do they care to find Him.

You can learn more about this magnificent cathedral: http://cathedralstl.org/intro



To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: