Saturday, August 17, 2013

Beauty Without Purpose?


Our windows have been open for a few days as we experience an unusually mild August. I love to feel the breeze wake me instead of an alarm. The sun was peeking pink through the curtains, performing well its wake-up duty. On our bedroom wall is a magnificent work of art. It’s been there so long, I almost never notice it. As I took a few minutes to bask in the cool quiet before rushing into my day, I studied it’s color and intricacies as though I had never seen it before and I found true delight.

Beauty surrounds me all the time. We have several pieces of art that fascinate the eye. Our home is lovely. Outside decades-old trees wave to us when we pass. Flowers of myriad colors and vast open sky overhead greet us, as well. We travel a few blocks to pick up a 12 mile bike and walking trail through dense woods and open fields and around a deep blue recreation lake.

Beauty is for us to observe, to gaze upon, to ponder alongside. Beauty is a gift to steal us away from hum drum or stressful days. It’s a gift designed to make us smile, or keep us smiling.

If I didn’t take the time to notice the beauty surrounding me, its loveliness would be wasted. And my loss would be incalculable. 




To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: