Sunday, December 28, 2014

Musical Christmas Memories

Musical Christmas Memories

My parents were seriously into music.  They both sang – all the time. I do believe if Mom had only a little vocal training she could have been sensational. Dad had a deep baritone voice and played the snare at home, at parties, at church. And, their jitterbugging together won many prizes. Dancing with the stars has nothing on them! My dad owned every jazz album ever produced, beginning with the 78 rpm discs through the CD and mp3 eras. Music, mostly jazz, literally filled our house.

As a little girl, one of my favorite Christmas songs was, “I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa  Claus.” I didn’t understand what it would have meant for a wife to kiss another man, even if he was Santa, but to me it was a sweet thought that Santa would take a minute to give my mom a little kiss in the midst of his busy Christmas Eve schedule.  I was two years old when a 13 year old recorded the song so it’s no wonder it made a musical impression on me. I loved to sing it and imagine the scene in our living room by the sparkling tree that Santa had just decorated (yes, the tree was decorated while we kids slept Christmas Eve), with colorful packages scattered around. I even imagined myself sneaking down the steps to peek.

The song really hit me emotionally the year I learned all about Santa. And from that moment, I still cry nearly every time I hear the song.

Because that special Santa who paused during a busy evening to give my mommy a kiss was my own daddy.   I still see them standing under the mistletoe in the home they lived in for 57 years. He takes her in his arms, kisses her warmly and says, “Merry Christmas, Elaine. I love you.”

Thank you, Mom and Dad, for wonderful Christmas memories.


May all the faithful departed, through the mercy of God, rest in peace.




To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: