Thursday, July 4, 2013

How will I carry on my father’s legacy?



Naturally, I've ben pondering why my father died in the prime of life. Yes, he was 86. But, literally every person who knew him knows he was 24 at heart and in energy. It comes to me that though he had not reached perfection, as none of us will as long as we are on this planet, over time he had been allowing God to mold his heart into the image of His Son. He used his talents for the good of others, his acts of compassion expressed the love
of God for His creation, he cared for his body as one should care for the temple of the Holy Spirit, gifts and accolades to him were received with grace and humility, and he was filled with joy.

Yes, there was much good he still could have done on this earth. But our lives here are not about what we do, though what we do is evidence of our faith. Our lives are about becoming what God intends for each of us. And I think Dad would have continued to be greatly used to draw people to know Jesus through his actions and words, but because his heart had learned the lesson of real life, God took him home to complete the good work, as He promises. The plan for us is to become like Jesus and to know peace and joy for all eternity face to face with God. Daddy didn’t need to stay here to finish what God had begun. God let the fallen world take his physical body because Dad was ready to meet his Father in his glorified body and hear the words, “Well, done, good and faithful servant.”

Some of us don’t learn the lesson till our dying breath, like the thief on the cross. Some of us let God teach us on the journey and are able to live the gift of abundant joy on earth for a long time. Like Dad. It’s all about what’s best for us.  

So I look at my father’s life, and I ask myself the question: What can I do to make sure Daddy’s legacy continues to make a difference? The answer is in my heart.


January 27, 2013




To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: