Tuesday, June 25, 2013

How long the pain?


My dad died on June 13, 2013. Today is June 25. It’s still not real enough. I guess because I live 1200 miles from my parents’ home. And even though I’ve been at their home since five hours before he left our planet, it still feels like he’s out riding his bike, or upstairs listening to blues and jazz in his music room, or at church working on a project, albeit for long periods of time. Surely any moment he’ll bounce into the living room with that springy step, wearing his typical smile and head out to his gardens that love him, too.

I hate when good men and women die young.  Why would that thought enter my mind? After all, my dad was born on March 9, 1927. People who don’t know him try to comfort with the words, “Well, he lived a good long life.” Like, it’s okay that he’s gone because, well, he was 86. People who knew him agree with me, “He had so much more to do.” My dad had plans for at least 20 more years of making a difference in the world around him.

I hate what we’re all going through, especially my mom. How long does it take to find a new peaceful normal after 64 years of devotion and commitment?

I do keep the eternal perspective at times like this. If I didn’t I couldn’t face tomorrow. I know that for my dad the best of eternity has just begun. And it’s comforting to know, really know, that one day I’ll join him.

But understanding all that all that doesn’t keep me from hurting. It doesn’t keep me from crying, “Daddy, I miss you!”




To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

1 comment:

Diane F. said...

Cheryl,
I lost my Dad 15 years ago, he was only 70. That seems so young to me, as I get older. My Mom is 87, born in 1926. It took her a few years to adjust, but not a big support system for her, in terms of family, which makes a big difference. It will be important for someone to keep your Mom pretty active so she can get through this first year.
Yes it is surreal, like you are in a dream, and when you wake up
this won't be true. I find all of my traumas like that, and I still sometimes think this is not my real life, but a dream.
You are a person of strong faith, and you know you will see him again. That is the only comfort I can really give you right now.
So sorry for your loss, I truly do understand the depth of how you feel.