Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Verdict: Guilty!


From Dictionary.com: Guilt: a feeling of responsibility or remorse for some offense, crime, wrong, etc., whether real or imagined.

I hate guilt. I mean, unless I’m truly guilty of a wrong action, or one that causes offense or is criminal in nature, etc. Of course. Because that kind of guilt leads me to confession. Confession leads hopefully, to forgiveness, which leads to freedom. My spirit likes freedom.

The guilt I hate is when I really shouldn’t feel it. It's the guilt from imagined responsibility.

Why do I always feel guilty when it’s been a long time since I called a certain friend, or stopped in to see someone, or sent a note or card to that person who’s been on my mind for so long?

Why do I feel like our staying in touch is my responsibility?

There are numerous people who contact me ‘first’ after a long spell of little, if any, communication. I am so thankful to them. But what do you think? I immediately feel guilty that it wasn’t me who initiated contact.

Something’s wrong in my self-assessment. I need to think on that seriously. And quickly. Before someone calls me first.




To share your thoughts or comments, click on the '(numeral) comments' link below and next to "posted by Cheryl Ann Wills.' I would love to hear from you!

No comments: